Are habits the reason for your lack of results?
Habits. We all have them. From the more mundane (brushing our teeth) to the more quirky (What's yours? Comment below!).
My question to you is... Are your habits stopping you from achieving your goals?
Let's use fat loss as an example...
People often fail to succeed at losing body fat because they take on too many lifestyle changes at once. They're too impatient and want to do everything at once in the space of a week to get ready for that summer holiday. When in reality, this will not work!
I have had conversations with so many people since becoming a trainer all saying the same thing, they've tried every diet and fad under the sun yet they still look the same! They've hired trainers in the hope that this one will give them the magic pill and everything will drop off in the blink of an eye.
Do you know what the one thing in common with all these people has been?
Lack of consistency.
It's as simple as that.
That is your magic pill right there.
Our life is made up with habits but right now these might not be conducive with your goal.
So how can you be more consistent? Build better habits.
Before we go on, let's just establish what exactly a habit is. Here's a couple of definitions:
- 'A settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up.'
- 'An automatic reaction to a specific situation.'
Basically a pattern of behaviour that will often occur automatically.
Now you may not realise it but your current habits outside of the gym, generally during the other 23 hours of the day could be stopping you from getting into the best shape of your life. Fat loss is a journey and a big commitment, not just turning up to the gym, training with a coach for an hour and hoping everything else will sort itself out because guess what, IT WON'T!
YOU MUST TAKE ACCOUNTABILITY FOR WHAT YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE.
So let's identify some of the classics...
- Get up late for work.
- Grabbing some pasta for lunch from the same shop everyday.
- Finish work and head out for a drink with your team, that then leads to a takeaway.
- Staying up late in the evening on Netflix and scrolling through Instagram.
Do you think these are the kind of habits that are going to help you achieve that fat loss goal?
Instead we should try to implement the following...
- Get up 60 minutes earlier in the morning and have a healthy protein based breakfast.
- Take lunch with you and eat throughout the day, this will keep you full and stop the need to go to the coffee shop to pick up snacks.
- Get yourself a PT or training partner and arrange to train in the evening after work. This will keep you away from the pub and encourage you to spend more time with someone on a similar journey to you.
- Be in bed by 10pm every night latest. Switch off the TV and put your phone on the other side of the bedroom. If you consistently fall asleep at the same time you will find it much easier to wake up in the morning.
Now that looks more like the habits of someone setting themselves up for success.
As you can see, habits have a knock on affect. Start the day right and it'll be easier to follow through with the rest of the day.
Now to put this into practice. Remember what we said at the start, don't try to do everything at once!
Start with getting up earlier in the morning, when you have built this habit (usually 21 days) you can fill that time with the next habit and so on.
Try building a healthy habit for 21 days and let us know how you get on!
Coach Dan :)
Would you like to start your journey with TEAM BETTER BODY? We have a range of different options to suit everyone regardless of your current fitness level and would love for you to give us a chance to show you what we can do for you on a FREE 7 day trial. To get yours started just get in touch today!